Making Sense of your Senses! – 5 Step Guide
Lets take a closer step, to experiencing our 5 senses! Most of us have a preferred sense that we automatically use – seeing, hearing, touching/feeling or even smell and taste, however we also experience the other senses, at any given moment.
Tuning into each of your senses one at a time, can be a very powerful yet simple tool, to notice more of what you are experiencing around you and internally. I wish to share a little technique I used the other day, which calmed my mind and allowed me to become relaxed in an instant.
So, I was taking a gentle walk (this will work and can be adapted with any activity you are carrying out, maybe trying this out on things you enjoy e.g. taking a shower) and I started to play around and paid real attention to each of my senses in turn, taking it all in.
5 Step Guide
Go at your own pace! I spent roughly 3 – 5 minutes being curious about each sense individually.
- What you can see (visual) What is surrounding you, are there any other people, what nature is around you e.g. flowers, trees, the sky, clouds, the sun (360 degrees), how bright or colourful are your surrounds
- What you can hear (audio) What noises and sounds are around you, is there a breeze, are there birds chirping, any cars, music, voices etc. – including tone, pace, rhythm
- What you can touch/feel (kinesthetic) What do the clothes feel like against your body, how does the sun/breeze feel on your face, how do you feel – warm, happy, comfortable, relaxed, free, confident, energized, positive
- What you can taste (gustatory)Notice any flavours you can taste, such as ice cream or salt from the sea
- What you can smell (olfactory) Notice any smells and changes to smells, such as the smell of grass, rain on its way or even fresh air!
Make it your own moment and most of all….. relax and have fun with it!
Call this part of Mindfulness, being 100% in the present, Sensory Awareness or Sensory Acuity – as often referred to in the world of Coaching with NLP (Neuro Linguist Programming). This is something I even do when I’m washing a few pots, stuck in a traffic jam or taking a work break!
Being a Qualified Coach, if you choose to use NLP tools as part of Coaching, I allow you to explore your 5 senses at your own pace, alongside a technique called Submodalities. Submodalities are about positively enhancing good positive memories/experiences or even dulling/fading, replacing or removing bad negative memories/experiences, so that they are just right for you. These are then supported by using an extensive range of tools, techniques and models, to suit your needs, so that you successfully achieve the positive ethical desired state and outcome that you wish, the choice is yours. e.g. confident instead of nerves or low self esteem, relaxed/calm instead of anxiety or panic attacks, overcoming a phobia/fear such as flying, heights, social anxiety, injections etc
These desired states link in with Coaching, if however your preference is to not use these NLP tools, then your Coaching sessions are, as always designed to be flexible and in line with your choices and personal requirements, to successfully establish and achieve your goals and aspirations in life.
Joe Roe Xxx